How to look after your new windows
A lot of homeowners keep looking for high quality windows to enhance the aesthetic appeal of their living space, while making the place more functional. In order to match the windows with the living space, and make sure you get the perfect fit, it’s important to hire professionals for the job.
Once the windows have been installed in your home, you need to be confident that they’re fully supported. This will make sure the windows look perfect for many years to come. Besides offering a solid 10 year guarantee, our company also offers good advice on how you can take care of your windows after installation.
Request a service
Tips to Clean Your Window Frames
Maintaining uPVC windows
One of the biggest benefits of uPVC windows is how easy they are to clean. You need to follow these basic rules:
- You should never use something abrasive. Abrasive materials can scratch the window surface. This removes the shine off your UPVC windows.
- Simply warm soapy water with washing up liquid is all that’s’ needed to wipe down your windows. Dry with a towel or newspaper to remove glass smears.
- If you’re finding that the dirt is particularly stubborn, using the same gentle cloth seek a top-grade solvent cleaner suitable for UPVC to help wipe it away.
Maintaining timber windows
If your windows have timber frames, you can follow these simple instructions:
- Timber just requires a standard wash down with some clean water. You should let timber dry naturally.
- Every year, you will need an extra coat of microporous sealant. It should be applied to maintain standard protection from the elements.
- The surface of the frames should always be dry, dust free and clean before application of the microporous sealant. These sealants allow the wood to breathe.
Maintaining aluminium windows
If you have aluminium windows, follow these tips:
- Warm soapy water and a soft cloth is best for aluminium.
- Dry them with a cloth and they should be sparkling again.
For the glass, you can use any high quality glass cleaner. High end glass cleaners are good for both triple and double glazed windows.
When it comes to maintenance of your windows, you should keep the following information in mind:
- In order to keep your adjustments and locks in good shape, you should spray them twice every year with a silicone based product or WD40.
- If you want to loosen or tighten the friction hinges fitted on the window, you should open the window and insert a small screwdriver. It should be inserted into the head of the adjusting screw right on the hinge. You should turn it slowly until you can notice the desired effect.
- If there’s been heavy rain in the area, there might be some water lying at the bottom of the window frames. You shouldn’t worry about this. The water will evaporate or drain through different drainage holes in the window base.
- When lead work is left exposed to the rain, it causes the oxidation process. This seems like mottled or white staining on your door’s lead work. Once the process is complete, lead seems dark grey. It won’t stain anymore and is nothing to worry about. The process can take a few months.
If there’s anything you want serviced or fixed, you can call our experts. You can fill a form online and schedule an appointment conveniently. Our skilled and qualified experts are always willing to help you with any problems related to your windows.
Request a service