How big can a building be without planning permission, including in conservation areas?
The addition of a new building on your land may seem like a good idea initially but when you delve deeper into the regulations, the red tape surrounding planning permissions can become rather complex. However, since permitted development rights were extended in 2013 under the Larger Home Extension Scheme, it’s hardly surprising that architects, builders and double-glazing companies across England have experienced a considerable boost in demand for single storey extensions and conservatories in conservation areas. With just a few months left to take advantage of the relaxed planning permissions, we thought it the perfect time to explain exactly how big a building can be without the need for planning permission, including in conservation areas.
How far can you extend your home without planning permission?
- Attached property extensions do not extend beyond the rear wall of the original home by more than 3 metres.
- Detached property extensions do not extend beyond the rear wall of the original home by more than 4m.
- The extensions roof & ridges must not exceed the height of the original house and the eaves must not exceed 2m in height of the boundary of 3m.
- Single-storey extensions must not exceed 4m in height.
- Single storey extension width must not exceed half of the original size of the house.
- Extensions on the side or front of a house must be closer to the property than a public highway.
How far can you extend homes in conservation areas without planning permission?
Depending on the outcome of the Neighbour Consultation Scheme, single storey extension builds in conservation areas are covered by permitted development rights as long as:
- Attached property extensions do not extend beyond the rear wall of the original home by more than 6m.
- Detached property extensions do not extend beyond the rear wall of the original home by more than 8m.
This legislation covers houses across England under the Larger Homes Extension Scheme, ending on 30th May 2019.
Marvellously modern to tantalizingly traditional – an extension for every occasion with SEH BAC
If you require extra living space as your family grows, our range of bespoke extensions will provide the ideal finishing touch to any South East home. The right levels of experience and quality can truly make or break the quality of your renovation, so be sure to employ the very best installers around. Get in touch with the SEH BAC team today for all your home improvement needs.
Related to this post: 5 reasons why customers choose us over others